Wide eyes.
Anyway, it wasn’t long until the ‘Charlie’ guy was back, but this time selling me the local ganja. His words were, “Hey man. I have weed. I am also a cop. Now how much you want boy?”, before dropping his stash on the floor. I hesitated for a second, before he muttered, “You look scared man.”, to which I responded, “but you said you’re a cop, so just gotta make sure, y’know”. Eventually, I was taken across the beach to his ‘crib’ to meet his partner in crime “Bro”. To avoid a confrontation I purchased US$10 worth of the local plantation. I returned to the bar where Marcus was looking slightly concerned. About another half an hour of pool and Antiguan banter transpired until the ‘Charlie’ guy and Marcus hit a point of disagreement. This set off a heated argument between the two. We could barely understand a word, as us two white guys and one half-caste sat there trying to work out our escape plan. It turns out they were arguing about who should have sold me the weed. Apparently Marcus had done all the hard yards being friendly with us, and then the Charlie dude cut Marcus’ grass, so to speak, by underhandedly selling me his ganja. We downed the remainder of our punches, stood up, did the round of handshakes and exited stage left. Funnily, a couple of their last words to us were “One love, man.” That’s one of the things we’ve noticed about the Caribbean – while the locals occasionally get angry, they never get fired up enough for anything to snowball into fisticuffs. This is either through their inherent happy nature or sheer laziness.
Andy and Dunny partake in local rituals. I just watched.
Dunny gettin' doggie from Karen King.
Anyway, we didn’t let the night end there. We headed up to the main road, towards Potters Bar where there seemed to be a few stragglers still kicking on. Three rum punches were ordered. A couple more drinks in and we were approached by what we’d guessed to be another paralytic Australian tourist. “Are you guys Aussies?”, the lady slurred. It turned out that this lady, Karen, was an Aussie who’d been living in Antigua for the last two years. What was she doing here, we asked? Well, of course, she was the wife of Bennett King, the coach of the West Indian cricket team. So, as you do, we went back to her place when the bar shut. Quite bizarre really, considering she has teenage kids and is in her early forties, but we ended up hanging there until around 5am, consuming more rum with some swimming thrown into the mix, just to keep the possibility of death omnipresent, along with repetitive singing of “We are Australian” (the Telstra ad version).
We are one, but we are many. Apparently.
3 comments:
Are you actually having a holiday or are you just on an international blog-posting project? Actually I think my bitterness is really just jealously because it sounds fucking awesome. I actually disagree with you about Watson - he was actually starting to play well but he'll need a few games to get his groove back so if he's not gonna be back till the semis they should just send him home. If you see Greg Blewett again remind him how Mushtaq Ahmed's wrong-un ruined his career... then run away...
Charlie that is the funniest thing ever. like johnx2 i'm insanely jealous. so much so that i can't even think of a funny thing to write here... it's harder to pay you out when you're not working and on an island with a beach for every day of the year and I'm at work trialling new methods in paint.
SUL
(Stalk U Later)
maz
aaah mega blogfest! very good of you to think of those of us who are desk-ridden
can you please send a care package of local delights to sarah, c/o alice springs. it'll find me.
Post a Comment